Welcome to The Lukeion Project
At the Lukeion Project we specialize in the Classical world. We offer college-preparatory courses in Classical Latin, Classical Greek, Classical Literature in translation, Greek & Roman History, Mythology, Word Roots, English Grammar and Classical Archaeology to learners around the globe through live, online classes (these are not recordings, chat rooms, or do-it-yourself distance learning). Our courses are vividly illustrated and interactive.
Autumn students should have already received their "Getting Started" letters. Contact us if you have not.
Registration for our tour of Italy & Sicily now open
- GO HERE to get more information, view a recording of our informational meeting, or download a brochure.
The Lukeion approach combines history, archaeology and Classical literature to bring the ancient world to life in vivid color. Our live, online classroom allows students from around the globe to participate in class together with expert instructors using any high speed internet connection. Sessions are interactive, not recorded, and include high quality, professional graphics that engage today’s visual-learning generation. We have students from all continents but Antarctica and most of the United States.
Our courses feature the very best benefits of online convenience and live instruction with teacher interaction. Courses are kept small with the maximum number of 30 students. Instructors are always happy to answer student questions during our live sessions and by email.
All of our classes at the Lukeion Project are passionately taught, live, real-time presentations using cutting-edge technology developed for collaborative international meetings. Students from around the world come together to see and hear well illustrated presentations, take virtual trips together to museum sites and news articles, discuss & participate.
Classes at The Lukeion Project
The Lukeion Project offers full semester courses as well as 4-session workshops appropriate for students age 12-adult.
The live, online classroom allows students from around the globe to participate in class together. Sessions are interactive and include high quality, professional graphics that engage today’s visual-learning generation. Exams and review activities are available online for each class.
All of our courses meet once a week except during the summer when our workshops meet four consecutive days.
Check current course availability. Registration will open on March 1st for the 2013-2014 academic year. We are pleased to provide recent recording samples and answer any questions about upcoming classes for you while you consider joining us in the coming school year. We want you to make a confident decision to enroll at The Lukeion Project.
17 unique Semester courses
Semester courses are generally high school level and college preparatory. In addition to offering mastery of these subjects, they will all help your learner practice note-taking, self-organization, time-management, research writing, testing skills, essay writing and much more.
Click to view more information on each subject:
- Latin (I, II, III, AP IV)
- Greek (I, II, III, IV)
- History: Ancient Greek History (autumn only); Ancient Roman History (spring only)
- Classical Mythology in Ancient Literature (two unique semesters: Alpha and Beta)
- Muse on the Loose: Survey of Greek Literature OR Muse Reloosed: Survey of Latin Literature (two unique semesters on Greece & Rome)
- The Witty Wordsmith: Greek & Latin Word Roots (autumn only)
- The Barbarian Diagrammarian: Visual Grammar for the Bold & Daring (spring only)
- Advanced Research Writing (spring only)
Workshops are designed for those who are interested! Click here to view all workshops
The Lukeion Project offers a variety of workshops on Classical archaeology, history, literature, and art. Most 4-session classes are geared toward those working at a 6th /7th grade level and up. Gifted students, adults and older students will thoroughly enjoy these workshops as well. Workshops are lively, well illustrated, interactive and a bit addictive!
About The Lukeion Project
The Lukeion Project Founders Regan and Amy Barr launched The Lukeion Project in 2005. As veteran archaeologists, experts in ancient languages and history, and home educators of three, the Barrs provide a unique educational approach that fosters excellence, enthusiasm and college preparedness. Our teaching staff has expanded to include Dr. Sue Fisher who shares similar expertise.
- Click here to read about our live online technology and classroom experience.
What is The Lukeion Project & who teaches all the courses?
- Click here for a history of The Lukeion Project and instructor credentials.
Not all online classes are the same
Today it seems like there are a great many 'online' classes available on nearly every subject but beware! 'Online course' can refer to anything from a freeform, unstructured email coorespondence class; to a series of online self-tutorials to a Skype session. You will find that our online method is unparalleled.
When comparing our courses to others, consider The Lukeion Project difference. All of our courses include:
- Live instruction (not a chat room nor a recording though those are available on request)
- Organized, well-paced, action-packed one hour sessions help challenge and keep students on track
- Challenging semester courses graded by instructors
- Beautifully illustrated with extensive proprietary collection of images from throughout the Classical world (not a 'talking head' video of the instructor).
- Instructors maintain full control of each session for the optimal learning environment.
- Classes are well annotated (a great way to develop note taking skills and a real boost for the visual learner)
- Courses are packed with extra learning tools: practice games, links, primary sources, helpful handouts, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FAQ's (frequently asked question ) page or find out how to contact The Lukeion Project if we have not provided an answer on this list. We are happy to answer any of your questions by email. We are normally in office from 9-5, Monday through Thursday except when we are not. Reaching us by email is the best way of contacting us since we spend a lot of time in class (and phones aren't compatable with teaching live classes).
We leave for the Mediterranean every May to show people around, and we are frequently speakers at home education conferences. Otherwise, anticipate a fairly quick response by email.
Please reserve all phone calls for only Mondays, 9-5:
Family Travel with The Lukeion Project
We believe that travel is the best educational gift you can give a child. Every May the founders of The Lukeion Project, Regan and Amy Barr, load up a private bus and tour a portion of the Classical world. We invite families (children should be 8 or older) to travel together with us along with adults and older students to see the finest sites of the Classical world.
We handle all the logistics while you and your family get to enjoy adventure and travel as a family. You need not be registered at The Lukeion Project to travel with us.
Click here for an introduction to Lukeion Tours to the Mediterranean
- Italy, May 2014 -NOW ENROLLING
- Greece, May 2015
Click here to find out more about Lukeion travel adventures and how to join us If you would like more information about our trips, please be sure to register for our e-news below.
Success at The Lukeion Project
A lot of people say nice things about us. Here is a list of just a few of those kind words. We appreciate the learners who come our way, we appreciate you inviting future learners to join us and we hope you will always enjoy exploring the past.
More than 90% of Lukeion Project language students take honors on the National Latin Exam and the National Greek Exam each year.
The Lukeion Project is pleased to be included on HSLDA’s “Home schooling Thru High School” curriculum web page, and is regularly sought out by parents of gifted and talented students.
Find our article "How to Thrive in Latin and Greek" in the 2010-2011 Winter Edition of The Old Schoolhouse and "Unprepared for College" in the 2013 annual print ed. of The Old Schoolhouse.
Our own Amy Barr is also a monthly columnist as The Classical Homeschooler in The Old Schoolhouse magazine in all editions 2012-2013.
Free Stuff at The Lukeion Project
About every 6 weeks or so we offer a freebie live online session that we open to everyone who is able to register quickly enough (space is limited so seats go very fast). We make these workshops of interest for everyone, even grown-ups. So if you are tired of your kids having all the fun, sign up for the late session and enjoy some armchair archaeology or late night language learning.
Visit this tab often or, better yet, register for our e-news list below so you can get first dibs on seats in these sessions. E-news recipients usually fill the sessions before we have a chance to post a link here.
Registration for the 2013-2014 academic year will open to the public at 8 am, March 1. All courses are available on a first come, first served basis. Your registration puts a short term hold on the seat you have requested so don't stress. Please pay promptly to reserve your seat perminantly.
How to register:
- Choose the class and session time
- Then check course availability.
- Fill out your Registration for 2013-14 academic year as completely as possible to avoid delays. We will not sell your data and your data is secured by FormStack. Be sure to refresh the page if the new form does not show up.
- Be sure to choose your payment method (check by mail or PayPal). You must pay by PayPal if you register fewer than 7 days prior to the first session. Questions about tuition? Go here.
- We will send an invoice to the email address you provide. Please pay promptly. No seat is guaranteed until you have paid in full.
- Expect instructions to arrive no later than 24 hours before class starts at the email address(es) you provided on your registration (semester course instructions begin to arrive 7 days prior to the start of class)
- Come to class at least 10 minutes early for your very first Lukeion Project session. This will allow our classroom software to load on your computer.
Though we provide an online registration form, real humans take care of all the paperwork. Please be patient with us while we add you to our database and roster but don't hesitate to contact us if you think there's been an error or an overly long delay. You know how cyberspace can be.
Class Tuition Information
We make paying for courses at The Lukeion Project as simple as possible.
We do not charge registration or membership fees nor make registration an ordeal. We do not include the price of books to courses which require them. We trust that you will be able to find them at the best rates elsewhere or even check them out at a local library (or find an e-reader copy).
We give you a discount when you register for more than one class. Once you register for a semester course, you can add any additional semester courses or workshops during that same semester for a 10% discount. Click here to see course tuition and fees and also check out our refund policy on that same page.
There is no late fee for last minute workshop registration. Alas! There is a $25 late fee for semester course registration 14 days or fewer prior to the first class meeting because matriculation is a real bear.